Exploring Air Quality
Looking for patterns in a year of data
Use the animations on this page to explore data over one year for a sensor you are interested in exploring. The first animation shows data from across the country for the years 2020 and 2021. The second animation allows you to zoom in on a few regions around the country. Drag the triangular sliders to see how the data changes over the course of a year.
- What patterns do you see in the data across the entire country? Why do you think those patterns exist?
- Are there certain times of the year that the air quality seems better or worse? Why might that be?
- What other questions do you have based on this representation of that data?
Now zoom in on a region of the country.
- How do the patterns you see in one region compare to another region?
- Are there any dates and sensors that have particularly unhealthy air quality? Research the geographic area near the sensor to help make sense of the data.
- What other questions do you have based on this representation of the data?
Share your observations and any reasons you believe contribute to them.